Karl Lorenz is a professor at the Pardee RAND Graduate School, associate professor of medicine at UCLA, and palliative care consultant and general internist at the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System. He also currently serves as director of the VA Palliative Care Quality Improvement Resource Center, which focuses on developing provider-facing software tools for use with the VA's electronic medical record in order to improve the delivery of palliative and end-of-life care.
At RAND, his work includes evidence synthesis in the Southern California Evidence-Based Practice Center (a center within RAND Health); the development of quality measures for palliative and end-of-life care with the Assessing Care of Vulnerable Elders project; and work for the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission on hospice reimbursement. He co-leads the Trajectories and Palliation Study (TAPS), funded by the National Institutes of Health.
He is a former VA Career Development awardee and was a Commonwealth Packer Health Policy Fellow in 2007–2008, during which he was placed with Cancer Australia to study the organizational dynamics of quality measurement and improvement in the Australian cancer care system.
Lorenz received his M.D. from the Medical College of Georgia and his M.S. in health services from the UCLA School of Public Health.
Concurrent Non-RAND PositionsAssociate Professor of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles; Director, VA Palliative Care Quality Improvement
- Leading development of RAND Cancer Quality ASSIST--a set of comprehensive supportive care quality indicators for cancer care
- Piloting ASSIST and ACOVE palliative and end-of-life care quality indicators
- Evaluating the role of routine pain measurement in outpatient settings
- Developing and implementing electronic medical record-based tools to improve the appropriateness and process of palliative consultation
- As Packer Health Policy fellow, evaluating organizational issues in quality of cancer care in Australia
Karl A. Lorenz et al., "Changes in Symptoms and Health-Related Quality of Life in a Nationally Representative Sample of Adults in Treatment for HIV," Quality of Life Research, 15(6), 2006
Karl A. Lorenz et al., "Health Care Policy Issues in End-of-Life Care," Journal of Palliative Medicine, 9(3), 2006
Karl A. Lorenz et al., "Quality Measures for Symptoms and Advance Care Planning in Cancer: A Systematic Review," Journal of Clinical Oncology, 24(30), 2006
K. A. Lorenz et al., "Religiousness and Spirituality Among HIV-Infected Americans," Journal of Palliative Medicine, 8(4), 2005